I need some old doggie advice

Melissa ParkerMelissa Parker NaplesPosts: 246Member
edited 24 September, 2006 in Saying Goodbye: Memorials & Support
I am getting up there in rottie years and i have lost alot of my motivation. i love my mommy and daddy and even the other pesky puppies but i am not doing so well anymore. my mommy is curious to know when its time to let me move on.........she sees me every day and how hard it is to walk and her and daddy have to help me get up and sometimes lately i even can not hold my self up to potty anymore. i was on rymadal but the vet said to try not to give that to me cause its like a drug and i dont want ot be addicted to it so now mommy has gotten the healthy hips and joints medicine from petsmart and i have been on this for a month and a half or so and it helps but its not helping as much as it was to start with. i know my kind of doggie life spans are only 8-12 years and i just want to what others think on how to know when its time to let their doggies go and not suffer anymore. or how to tell if they are suffering. i sure love my mommy and daddy and i hate to see them sad.

Comments

• Chad HuyckChad Huyck MilwaukeePosts: 2,960Member
    edited 23 May, 2006
    This is always a hard choice to make for anyone, and I feel sorry for your parents to be having to make this decision.. The best way I can think of to make the choice less painful is to think of how many good days you are having in comparision to the bad days, and if you are still able to do the things you enjoy. Dad is at that place right now with me.. I am getting up there in years (I will be 11 years old July 4th) and I have started to develop a lot of problems in the last 6-8 months. I am sore a lot, it seems that anything out of the norm food wise upsets my systems, and I have this reoccuring injury that keeps flaring up every now and then, and when it does flare up.. it is terrible.. nothing helps except for time and rest... Right now... the good days are still out numbering the bad ones, and I can still do 90% of my favorite things with no problems, so Dad is still OK with everything, but he is also counting his blessings for every day he still has me with him. I hope that helps you with your decisions, and good luck! Z-Dog
  • edited 23 May, 2006
    Oh sweet Payton, I feel for you and your parents. Ziero is right, as long as the good days are still outweighing the bad days then time is still on your side. Don't rush into anything. I am sure you really will know when the time has come. Beautiful girl. Mummy found this poem that makes her weep when she reads it - for you sweetheart and all of us one day I know. Walk With An Old Dog by Gayle Jokiel ________________________________________ Because you will not be forever Hope against time though I may I paint your picture in my memory - Eyes blue with age, muzzle gone gray. Because you walked with me in springtime Puppy-clumsy, running free As you grew, we grew together - You became a part of me. Because you shared with me my sorrows Not understanding, simply there Often spurring me to laughter - My friend, you know how much I care. Because the years have slowed your fleetness Though your spirit still is strong I promise I will take more time now - So that you can go along. Because you do not fear the future Living only in the now I draw strength from your example - Yet time keeps slipping by, somehow. Because the day will soon be coming When I will no longer see You rise to greet me but in memory - You will always walk with me.
  • edited 23 May, 2006
    Hi Payton, Sweetheart,only you have the ability to let them know that you are ready to go home.But please try and hold on.Once your parent's see by the look in your eyes,then I guess they will have to say their final goodbye and let you go.God will come to you and say,"Come home with me sweet Payton".But mama and I will keep you in our thoughts and prayers Payton. Love Bessie
  • Melissa ParkerMelissa Parker NaplesPosts: 246Member
    edited 23 May, 2006
    oh my that poem made mommy cry. i would say my good and bad days are getting out numbered with the bad being more. but i am still trying and the medicine mommy got does help and i still love being with mommy and daddy. there is no look of me going anywhere yet :) thanks for your guys help, mommy loves this place and i love what mommy loves cause i love my mommy!!!
  • Gail MyersGail Myers Jensen BeachPosts: 2Member
    edited 23 May, 2006
    I understand your pain. I just came to Rainbow Bridge two weeks ago today. I had cancer, and my Mommy was going through the same thing as your Mommy and Daddy. Tell them here are two links to check out. They helped my Mommy a lot! She works at an animal hospital, and now hands them out to clients dealing with this problem and they are very happy to have it. Sometimes finding the help we need is tough. Tell your Mommy and Daddy to please look at these pages, for them, and for you! http://www.dogbreedinfo.com/timetoletgo.htm http://www.dogbreedinfo.com/euthanasia.htm
  • Hailey SmithHailey Smith Posts: 659Member
    edited 23 May, 2006
    Well Payton, when my sister Hailey was very ill, and couldn't walk mommy carried her up, and down the stairs, and also bought a log carrier to take her out to go potty, cuz her back legs didn't work so well, mommy would support her with the log carrier cuz it has handles and it was made out of strong material, anyway Hailey went to the rainbow bridge 3 yrs ago, mommy made the decision when Hailey no longer would respond to anyone or anything, she stopped eating, and wouldn't even get up when mommy went downstairs to get her. Hailey was very bloated, and had gained 10 lbs on her medication so she weighed 65 lbs. She was a very beautiful black, and white siberian husky with ice blue eyes, and freckles on her nose. We miss her very much.
  • Amanda GibneyAmanda Gibney ElginPosts: 498Member
    edited 23 May, 2006
    Payton, it is hard getting old, on us and on our owners. Mom says as long as I\'m still eating and chasing the girls around the yard, she\'ll do her best to keep me going. I\'ve been on glucosamine chondroitin and that does help, but I\'ve been getting pretty stiff in the last couple months. Mom\'s going to start me on MicroLactin, her doggie mentor has been using it on her old guys for about 6 months now and has seen good results. Here\'s hoping we both have plenty of good qualtiy time left. WOOF!! (got to yell, I\'m pretty much deaf now;-)
  • Debbie ThompsonDebbie Thompson Posts: 247Member
    edited 23 May, 2006
    Hi Payton, sorry to hear you\'re not feeling so good lately. My Mommy had to let me go to the Rainbow Bridge just after Christmas. I also could not stand up and by back legs would give out on me when going potty. Mommy knew something wasn\'t right and took me to the vet. I hadn\'t been eating lately, but had gained 10 pounds in 6 months. My gums were also almost white so I was becoming anemic. I ended up having massive internal bleeding from my spleen and that was causing my weakness and inability to stand. The vet suggested surgery at a cost of $1500, but they could not guarantee I would survive the operation or that it would even cure my condition since they didn\'t know if I had cancer on my spleen. My Mommy agonized over the decision, talked a lot with my vet and they made the decision to let me go. Are you still eating like regular? I think your Mommy and Daddy just need to keep consulting your vet and see what he/she recommends. I had my wonderful vet for all 12 years of my life, and he tried many many tests on me at the end... x-ray, blood test, ultrasound. Vets don\'t want to put doggies to sleep if they can save their lives. So your parents need to keep talking with your vet to see what he/she feels about your condition and if you are suffering. I know it will be an incredibly hard decision for your parents, as it was for my Mommy. She still cries from missing me today. I hope you are feeling better soon.
  • Leeann BooneLeeann Boone HartfordPosts: 2,212Member
    edited 23 May, 2006
    I agree with Zero and Rosie. Also you have to consider the dogs quality of life. If he/she is happy and running around like they did when they were young than they are fine. Or if the owner is keeping the dog alive to hold off the pain of losing them. The signal for us is when Max got out of the yard and went and sat on our neighbors step and wanted to go inside. He was going blind,deaf, had arthritis so bad that he couldn't even sit it was more of a squat.
  • Toni UnderwoodToni Underwood Posts: 8,966Member ✭✭
    edited 24 May, 2006
    Unfortunately we cannot verbally communicate our desires; but the eyes are the windows of our souls and they can convey many thoughts and emotions. I think you'll know it's time "when the soul goes out of Payton's eyes." God Bless your family and I'll be at the Bridge to Welcome Payton when the day arises...
  • Sandra WilliamsSandra Williams LincolnPosts: 1,271Member
    edited 24 May, 2006
    I am sorry. It\'s really hard, and even when you make the decision it\'s still kind of difficult to live with. Blossom was pretty sick at the end. I had such a hard time doing it but I just could not watch her struggle a minute longer. I got to the point where I felt she was living in pain and she was still cheerful for me, but that\'s kind of what dogs do. It\'s hard, but it was kind of a relief too- which makes me think I did the right thing. She was a dog that loved the outdoors- we used to swim together- in pools, lakes, rivers, even the ocean once. She loved chasing seagulls, ducks and geese with such abandon that we would both plunge into the water after them. She also liked to fetch a stick in the water. But like your sweetie, she got up there in years. She sometimes had accidents in the house, and she was so ashamed, poor girl, even though she knew it wasn\'t really a problem for me. I knew she was a little old girl. Anyway, I had a carpet steamer, so no biggie, right? But she was really an athletic dog, and she hadn\'t been living a really satisfying life for awhile. But she was happy with walks, and food, and love, and being a grumpy old girl. But then she didn\'t really want to go for walks any more. (and yes, we were seeking vet attention and addressing the problems as best as we could...but unfortunately, there is no cure for aging)And then the days came when she woke me up whimpering, and I was so frightened to find that she couldn\'t get up. But then she would get better...and then worse. You are not doing the wrong thing- don\'t ever think that. I just think when you are starting to have these questions, you are kind of getting close to the time when you have to do something about it. I am really grateful for all the support I received from Dogster when Miss Bee died-and I know how tough it is...so. Well. You will have support when you need it.
    edited 24 May, 2006
    Thanks guys, payton has been with us for 4 years now and when we got her she was so spunky. thats the hardest part, now she just lays around alot, every once in a while she will try and play with lexie, or like yesterday, buster tried takin her bone and she actually got up and pinned him down so she still has some more kick to her than i thought! Its heart breaking to think she is getting older but i have known so many people who hold on to their dogs to long and the dog ends up suffering and i just dont want her to suffer. i think we still have time with her, i just question how long. and i know when she does pass over, i have found a GREAT place with great people to come to for support. :) this is the best site in the world!!!!
  • Kelly LawKelly Law BuffaloPosts: 10,563Member
    edited 25 May, 2006
    If she is eating and drinking, don't put her down yet. Try what you can for her. My Mom had me on the Glucosomine/Chondroitin and she also gave me half a baby aspirin when I had those hard days. Mom didn't think about making that decision, until I really stopped eating. I was also hiding a lot and had a lot of runs, that I just couldn't hold for outside. So, as my Mom would say, look into her eyes. If you don't see even the smallest spark, then it's time. If you do, then let her live on, because it is the FINAL decision. I hope this helps.
  • edited 25 May, 2006
    Hi Payton, When you are ready to come home up to the Bridge,sweetheart,I will be waiting for you with a gentle bey.I have been here since December 7,2005.
  • edited 25 May, 2006
    Hi Payton, I'm Tasha,I am Bessie and Copper's cousin.I just arrived at the Bridge a month ago.You see,I was 15 years old.When my human dad and brother came home in the wee hours of the morning after getting off of work,they let me and my son go out to pee.I went out side and peed and then I died.I waited for my family to come home,so I could say goodbye.I will be waiting for you dear Payton.
  • Ellie(Elinore) ClarkEllie(Elinore) Clark Posts: 9,364Member
    edited 25 May, 2006
    Payton, my Mom and Dad can feel for your family and for you. I had to go to the Rainbow bridge a year ago. I finally had no control of getting up and laying down without pain. They gave all the medications too. I was a runner all my 15 years, and when I could not potty or get up on my own, they said, Not our Molly, she would not want this pain. I hope you are not in a lot of pain, and when the time comes, give your family the look I gave to them- meaning , its time for me to go. Hope you can just go to sleep Sweetie, and dream of the days you were a runner. Molly
  • marilynn jeffersonmarilynn jefferson CypressPosts: 30,433Member
    edited 26 May, 2006
    Dear Paytons mom: I just wanted to tell you that you will know it is time when you can honestly ask yourself "Am I keeping her alive for me or her". When I finally faced that answer with my 16 year old doxie, I knew it was time. And I stayed with her through the end, like she had always done for me. That is the very best we can do for the ones we love, and who have loved us unconditionally. My heart goes out to you. Love her while you can, you will know when it is time. Ellie & Helga's Mom
  • JACK KUCKJACK KUCK atlantaPosts: 94Member
    edited 26 May, 2006
    MY BEST DOGGIE PAL PASSED AT AGE 15. SHE STOPPED EATING AND WENT DOWNHILL FAST. THE VET CAME TO OUR HOUSE AND HELPED HER GO TO THE BRIDGE. MY OWNER WROTE A TRIBUTE TO HER AND WILL SEND IT TO ANYONE WHO SENDS US THEIR E MAIL ADDRESS. IT IS A TRIBUTE TO ALL DOGS SO IT WOULD BE GOOD MEDICINE FOR ANYONE WHO HAS LOST A BEST FRIEND. IT HAS PICTURES ATTACHED SO IT TAKES A WHILE TO DOWNLOAD IF YOU HAVE DIALUP.
  • Danna EhrenbergDanna Ehrenberg PhiladelphiaPosts: 166Member
    edited 26 May, 2006
    Payton, It's all in the eyes! As everyone else stated, the eyes are the window to the soul. Amanda was very old (15 yrs) for a large dog. She had been slowing down over the last couple of years before she left--but the days before we made the decision to help her leave us (the tears are coming now) she did lot's of things that showed us she was ready. The first significant thing I remember is she stopped eating. No matter what we put down in front of her--she just walked away--didn't even smell out. The second thing I remember is she didn't get any of her toys when someone came over. She would just lay there and look at them. And the final thing--that made me realize it was time, was her eyes. They were so distant as if she had already checked out. She didn't make eye contact anymore and when you tried to turn her head in your direction--she would pull the opposite way. I think you will know (although may decide to ignore the signs for a while as we did) when the time is right. It's a hard decision and it's so very painful...but if there's anything good about it, it is this...the rainbow bridge. There are so many loved pets waiting there for their friends, companions and owners to meet up with them when they cross over. I used to be afriad to die but now (not that I look forward to dying) I look forward to seeing my baby again! God Bless!!! And I'll tell Amanda to keep an eye out for Payton should he decide to join her!
  • edited 26 May, 2006
    Oh Amanda's mummy, my mummy is crying at your post now. Sweet Amanda.
    edited 26 May, 2006
    oh rosie i so agree with you, i almost started bawling!!!! thanks for everything you guys are all so wonderful here :) i know when the time does come that my mommy has some great people here to help her out :)
  • Lu HornerLu Horner LakewoodPosts: 20,444Member
    edited 27 May, 2006
    Payton dear, My sister and I were on Rimadyl for the last few years of our lives and it really helped us! I don\'t understand why your vet is worried about you getting addicted. It\'s not a narcotic. And if you are feeling so bad maybe you should give it a try to see if it makes a difference for you. Holding you in my heart.....
  • Deanne FisherDeanne Fisher Posts: 4Member
    edited 27 May, 2006
    In loving memory of Zeegy May 10, 1988 - May 24, 2002 ------------------------------------------ You're giving me a special gift, so sorrowfully endowed, and through these last few cherished days, your courage makes me proud. But really, love is knowing when your best friend is in pain, and understanding earthly acts will only be in vain. So looking deep into your eyes, beyond, into your soul, I see in you the magic, that will once more make me whole. The strength that you possess, is why I look to you today, to do this thing that must be done, for it's the only way. That strength is why I've followed you, and chose you as my friend, and why I've loved you all these years... my partner till the end. Please, understand just what this gift you're giving, means to me, it gives me back the strength I've lost, and all my dignity. You take a stand on my behalf, for that is what friends do. And know that what you do is right, for I believe it too. So one last time, I breathe your scent, and through your hand I feel, the courage that's within you, to now grant me this appeal. Cut the leash that holds me here, Dear friend, and let me run, once more a strong and steady dog, my pain and struggle done. And don't despair my passing, for I won't be far away, forever here, within your heart, and memory I'll stay. I'll be there watching over you, your ever faithful friend, and in your memories I'll run, .... a young dog once again. ~ Author Unknown
  • Barbara TeigenBarbara Teigen NashotahPosts: 584Member
    edited 27 May, 2006
    If it is joint pain/arthritis type pain, you might want to ask your vet about Adequan injections. Unlike Rimadyl, there are negligible to no side effects. It has worked wonders for my back pain, but it is mainly used for the types of symptoms you described. Can't hurt to ask!
  • Donna LenzDonna Lenz BethelPosts: 5,665Member
    edited 28 May, 2006
    It is so sad when our special friends get old. When Muffie turned 18, she developed cataracts, got super picky on food, and would sometimes space out. She was a sheltie mix. Dad would buy her roast beef, steak, chicken, or anything to get her to eat. The vet said we would know when it was her time. One morning she was hiding under the bed - she never went under there. Dad put her on her bed in the living room with her blankie. She wasn't in any pain, and the vet said just keep her comfortable. Mom and Dad took turns laying on the floor with her, and petting her. She crossed the Rainbow Bridge during the night while Dad was petting her. Mom and Dad adopted me about 9 months later. I was 9 months old too. Uncle Barney was 17 1/2 and a lab mix. Muffie's best friend. And mine too. He had the leg troubles like you. The vet said give him Rymadil only on real bad days, which Mom did. I would play with him, but I was gentle. I would cuddle with him and wash his face and ears. His blood tests were great, and the vet was amazed that a big doggy like him was in such good shape. But Easter morning, his legs gave 0ut. Mom and Dad put him on pads, and kept him clean. I snuggled into him, and the whole family came to see him and say goodbye. Since he was not in pain, they did not want to take him to the ER. Those people have zero compassion. The next morning Mom took him to his vet and he gently crossed the Rainbow Bridge. I was devestated. He was my best friend, and I loved him. Me, Mom and Dad all cried and cried. A few days later, Amber flew to CT. And Mom and Dad let me adopt her. It was hard for Mom at first, because I picked Amber, and she is like a tiny version of Barney. Mom's advice is - go with your heart. You will know what is right, when the time comes. Each time is different, and the love you have for your best friend will guide you.
  • Cindy MillerCindy Miller Posts: 3Member
    edited 29 May, 2006
    This is the hardest thing to know....after you have let some go too long, you swear never again. But think of it as when YOU would want to go...and try to remember that they cannot tell us how much it hurts. Also, you may want to try another vet or acupuncture. It has been known to help a great deal for some dogs with leg/hip problems. Do a search online . If this could give you 6 more quality months with this great dog...it's worth it. Best of luck and our thoughts are with you.....as Mark Twain said "if there are no dogs in heaven...I ain't going!"
    edited 30 May, 2006
    hi guys thanks for all the help. i definatly dont think she is ready yet to go. she still has her good moments. i will definatly keep you guys posted :)
  • Anne TribbleAnne Tribble Virginia BeachPosts: 2,127Member ✭✭
    edited 30 May, 2006
    This is probably the ONLY bad thing about loving a dog: saying goodbye. We had to let our Griffin go to The Bridge last May and we still miss him. But what gets me through the sad times are all the funny memories he left with us. I don't believe a day went by without him doing something to make me smile. All I can say is that Payton will let you know when it's time. I can't properly describe what 'it' is, but you will see it in her face. The only other advice I can offer is to repeat what some others have said and that is to discuss things at length with your vet. Ask to try new medicines. Do some research on your own and see if there is anything new out that perhaps your vet hasn't tried. It sure can't hurt. You always have this place to come for support :) Griffin's Mama
  • Sally NaughtSally Naught where it's too hot to handlePosts: 11,416Member
    edited 31 May, 2006
    Here's a poem I made up myself: How Long has it been? By Digger and Mummy Love is like a snowflake of gold, It's here to have and to hold. Our love between you and me, is more than it'll ever be. Diffrences put aside, you'll always in my mind. You make the cold days of winter and snow, a sunny warm day like you'll never know. So when you go I'll surley miss, that old lovely wet slobbering kiss. It's deciated to the oldies of the world!
  • Julie BJulie B Posts: 1,681Member
    edited 31 May, 2006
    As dogs get older, they do sleep a lot more. I know when my old dog Ginger(she was 1/2 piekenise and pom, 16.5 yrs old when she let us know it was time) slept a lot, but she had seizures and before we decided it was time, she had a really rough weekend and let me hold her and she slept on my chest, (she never would have done that) and we knew it was time and that she was ready to go. Spud, our other dog, he was 13.5 (german shephard and akitia mix) and before he passed away, he started sleeping a lot more and stopped barking when the door bell rang. He'd still have days when he'd be himself, but more and more he started to slowly go, we knew it was only a matter of time..... The most important thing is that the quailty of life is still there....if they are still responding to you and the eyes have life..... make them as most comfortable as you can and love on them 100% times more cuz one day you won't be able to anymore. Hope you're feeling better...