Questions for this with American Eskimos

Jillianlily WeissJillianlily Weiss MenashaPosts: 33Member
edited 21 July, 2008 in American Eskimo Dog
Hi there! I went to the pet store last Friday to pick up our dogs some Greenies, and in a box outside, there were two puppies. It was pouring outside, the puppies had no food or water, were sitting in their own excrement, the box was moist and falling apart, the ink saying, "Free to Good Home" was running... One couple was looking at one of the puppies - a male puppy that looked JUST like an American Eskimo in all ways. The other puppy was a girl, with big papillon ears and an almost completely white body. I picked her up out of the box, went to the car and dried her off with our winter blanket, then went in the store. I asked the manager for details: The puppy is female, her mother was half-papillon, half-miniature American Eskimo, her father was a purebred papillon. She's now named "Casper," and she's a laid-back, loving part of our family. Now, we've had a few dogs in our time. A cocker-beagle-sheltie mix, a papillon, and a bichon frise-maltese mix. We've NEVER had an American Eskimo, and know no one with one. I've looked online for any information on the breed, and have had no luck finding any information that's pertinent about the breed. So I have a few questions for all of you: 1.) How big has your American Eskimo gotten? (Toy, Miniature, and Standards - doesn't matter, I just want to know.) 2.) Have you found that your American Eskimo was difficult to potty train? 3.) Have you found that your American Eskimo is difficult to train in obedience? 4.) In your opinion, would an American Eskimo be good for training in Agility? 5.) Does your American Eskimo have any quirks regarding cold weather, wet rain, etc? 6.) What kind of brush should I use to brush this puppy's fur? I know they have special grooming needs - and as this puppy takes after the American Eskimo fur-wise, I'd like to know what these needs are. How often do you groom your Eskie? 7.) Would you recommend a great, great deal of socialization? As in, do these dogs attach with and become protective of their "pack-mates" (family members)? 8.) Do Eskies bark a lot? 9.) Have you found any consistent health issues with American Eskimos? I know in papillons, there are luxating patella issues, eye problems and a few very rare diseases. Is there any such thing in American Eskimos? If yes, and your dog has been found to have these health concerns, what were the first signs of your dog having them? We take our dogs to the vet twice annually for check-ups, and other times for various vaccinations, grooming, classes, dental whatnots, etc. But in between those visits, I'd like to know what to look for just in case they weren't caught in time. 10.) Do these dogs have problems with tear stains? What do you use to clean these? 11.) The pup seems to have allergies - her eyes water, she sneezes, etc. Do your dogs have this? What do you use to treat it? Especially for a puppy. For our grown dogs, we use one crushed up Bennadryl. However, we don't know the right amount for a pup. 12.) Can you just tell me about the breed in general? All sorts of things - ANYTHING. I'd like to know what to expect. I'd really appreciate any input. Thank you for any information and help!

Comments

• Rachelle BRachelle B Des MoinesPosts: 136Member
    edited 19 April, 2008
    1.) How big has your American Eskimo gotten? (Toy, Miniature, and Standards - doesn\'t matter, I just want to know.) My mini (female) is 22 lbs @ almost five yrs. 2.) Have you found that your American Eskimo was difficult to potty train? Yes, she was. I would guess she was 7 months old or so. 3.) Have you found that your American Eskimo is difficult to train in obedience? Somewhat. She is stubborn, but in spite of a great deal of socialization, is timid. Training methods must be very positive. 4.) In your opinion, would an American Eskimo be good for training in Agility? Very possibly if you can get past the timidity factor so common in Eskies. 5.) Does your American Eskimo have any quirks regarding cold weather, wet rain, etc? My baby hates getting her toes dirty - likely because she knows this means I will be cleaning them once she comes back into the house after a potty break! She likes cold weather and snow, but once it gets bitterly cold, she has no interest in being outside besides potty. 6.) What kind of brush should I use to brush this puppy\'s fur? I know they have special grooming needs - and as this puppy takes after the American Eskimo fur-wise, I\'d like to know what these needs are. How often do you groom your Eskie? I\'ve never used a groomer. I don\'t bathe her often, either. She just doesn\'t need it; an Eskie truly is a self-cleaning dog. The natural oils keep them clean for a good long time. Actually, bathing them *too* often can be detrimental! She does require a lot of brushing and sheds profusely. 7.) Would you recommend a great, great deal of socialization? As in, do these dogs attach with and become protective of their \"pack-mates\" (family members)? I strongly recommend a massive, massive amount of socialization and desensitization to all kinds of situations, people, sounds, etc. Massive amount. As much as you can possibly achieve! An Eskie will generally \"protect\" the home in that no one will ever arrive unnoticed, but they\'re typically *not* fighters. They won\'t attack to protect. I don\'t know whether they\'re known to truly \"bond\" -- my girl is very bonded to me BUT not overly affectionate. She is quite an independent girl; definitely no Lab. 8.) Do Eskies bark a lot? Mine does. Mostly to alert us if anyone is outside or there is a strange noise. She also goes nutty when she knows we\'re going for a car ride, walk, etc. This should be addressed early or can become quite a nuisance. 9.) Have you found any consistent health issues with American Eskimos? I know in papillons, there are luxating patella issues, eye problems and a few very rare diseases. Is there any such thing in American Eskimos? If yes, and your dog has been found to have these health concerns, what were the first signs of your dog having them? We take our dogs to the vet twice annually for check-ups, and other times for various vaccinations, grooming, classes, dental whatnots, etc. But in between those visits, I\'d like to know what to look for just in case they weren\'t caught in time. My Eskie has been a beautiful picture of health BUT has had some sensitive skin/allergy issues. I put her on a Lamb and Rice food and they\'ve seemed to disappear. She has had a couple of ear infections, as well, but I don\'t know that that is particularly specific to Eskies. 10.) Do these dogs have problems with tear stains? What do you use to clean these? My girl gets them worse when allergies are acting up. There are products on the market for this, but I didn\'t find they worked that well. Just getting her outside in fresh air did far more for her. It seems that stale, indoor air would make it worse. (In winter, when house is closed up tight, long car trip with windows up, etc.) 11.) The pup seems to have allergies - her eyes water, she sneezes, etc. Do your dogs have this? What do you use to treat it? Especially for a puppy. For our grown dogs, we use one crushed up Bennadryl. However, we don\'t know the right amount for a pup. I can\'t say much here, other than for some reason, my girl had these kind of issues much worse in puppyhood. The smell of hairspray would send her on a sneezing binge. She had a lot of eye issues as well. After about a year? or so, she seemed to grow out of the worst of it. 12.) Can you just tell me about the breed in general? All sorts of things - ANYTHING. Hmmm!!! My eskie, Dolly, is 5 yrs old, a mini, about 22 lbs, purebred. She was extensively socialized with people esp. She is spayed and has been since 6 months. She is very, very alert and aware of everything in her environment. She is bright, but stubborn. She gets along quite well with 95% of other dogs. She is shy in spite of all the early work with puppy kindergarden, obedience and the socialization efforts. She responds best to women who baby-talk her. Men\'s deep voices and taller appearances often intimidate her and she isn\'t as likely to approach them. She has never been abused, hit or hurt by anyone (and I\'ve had her since she was 10 wks,) but I know this timidity factor is common. (and is why I worked so early and hard with her.) It took her about a year to accept my then-boyfriend. For almost a year, she would submissively pee when he was around her and he never did anything other than walk into the room. Although I wouldn\'t call her an affectionate dog - and she never has been - she still likes lovin every once in awhile. But on her timeclock! She will come to me and want her belly rubbed... but once she\'s had enough, she\'s off doing something else. Her favorite thing in life is to go walking. I have quite a few places, trails, etc, that I take her off-leash. She does run ahead, but never gets *too* far away... and 90% of the time, returns to me when called and jumps in the car when it is time to go home. When we\'re walking, she regularly looks back to check where I am. My Eskie does have a fairly high exercise need. We go running full-bore several times per week and that\'s barely enough for her. I am going to train her to ride alongside my bicycle this summer. Something beyond our walks to drain that energy!!! My Eskie is exceptionally well behaved and trustable in the home when no one is around. Until she was 2? or so, she had a thing for chewing any leather object left laying. Oh, and toilet paper, if she could get ahold of a roll. But she grew out of that and at five yrs, will never chew anything besides her chewies & is 100% in the house alone. Gosh, thanks for letting me talk so long about my baby!!! Hope some of it helped!
  • Cheryl McElroyCheryl McElroy GoddardPosts: 39Member
    edited 22 April, 2008
    1.) My baby Walter is a standard who weighs in at a hefty 31 lbs. 2.) Walter was horrid difficult to potty train. We had the boys sleep with us but then we got crates and he has been good ever since. I would definately reccomend crate training. 3.) Walter was relatively easy to train, but he gets so excited for treats that he ignores me. He is so much better at finding ways to get free food without the work. 4.) Walter has so much energy that it would be easy for him, but he gets so distracted and nervous around lots of people and dogs, so it would have to be private agility. BOL 5.) He actually likes the rain. He will stand out on the deck in the pouring rain and lick the water off the deck. He loves jumping in the snow. 6.) I have three- a brush that resembles a human brush, with the far-apart bristles, a mat rake, and a furminator. The bristle brush I use after baths to detangle and make him all pretty, the mat rake I use when his rear-end ruff gets matted- which it does all the time no matter how much I brush him, and the furminator once in a while when he decides to shed like crazy. 7.) YES!! Walter is so vocal around large crowds that I wish I had started more socialization earlier. Walter barks when people arrive or pass by, but then hides, so he is no big fighter. He is immensely bonded with me, but he doesnt spend all day attached to my leg. 8.) Walter does. All the time it seems. He has a large vocabulary. He will sit and stare at me and if I dont pay him any attention he will \"reprimand\" me with his barking and whining. He will bark up a storm when we are going bye-bye or for a walk. 9.) We haven\'t had any health issues. 10.) Walter does\'nt get tear stains. 11.) Walter doesn\'t have allergies. 12.) Where to start... Walter is 1 year old, 31 lbs, and also purebred. He is so funny, he makes me laugh so much. Just his expression sometimes will send me into a fit of laughter. He just gets a far-away \"eskie\" expression. He loves having his ears scratched. Get his \"good spot\" and he will grunt. He loves to play and will taunt me to get me to chase him. Walter is somewhat shy. He is the energizer bunny. He goes rollerblading with me for a mile- a run for him- and he still wants to play. He is so smart at finding trouble. He can open the lower cabinet doors to get into the trash. He loves toilet paper and whatever food is around. Hope this helped you. Good luck with your new baby!!
  • Ashley FontaineAshley Fontaine ChicagoPosts: 63Member
    edited 25 April, 2008
    From the time I was 11 to the time I was 17 I had an American Eskimo that we adopted from the pound named Frosty. He was 9 when we got him and almost 16 when we had to put him down because he had arthritis and could barely walk anymore. 1) He was probably about 25 pounds, but I am pretty sure he had the beginnings of heart disease and he looked bloated a lot of the time. 2) He was already potty trained, since we got him as an adult- after having him for a few years we did get a dog door (we had two other dogs at that point) and he took to it very quickly. 3) From what I have seen they are a little stubborn. I think this was more individual than bred though. 4) Yes! Before he started getting really old and sick, Frosty was pretty quick and my friend and I would have him jump over obstacles for treats and do other things like that. had I known anything about agility I think he would have been good at it. 5) American Eskimos have a very thick coat. Frosty wasn't real fond of the rain but didn't have a problem with it. However, if/when there was snow on the ground, look out! He LOVED snow and would roll around and frolick in it, even if it was only 1/4 of an inch. It was hilarious and he did this until he was a very old man. 6) I have a schipperke now (Pip) and they have similar coats to the American Eskimos- however, I would say the Eskies require a bit more grooming. Their fur gets tangled very easily. I used one of the wire brushes...not sure if that's what it is called. The kind with small metal bristles, because it gets the undercoat and mats out. Make sure you pay attention to their ears as they will get tangles by the base of them. You have to either brush them out or if they get terrible, cut them out. Make sure you brush their tail as this is very prone to getting debris stuck in it and tangling. They also get "tear stains" which look kinda icky, so you need to clean their eyes with a damp cloth when this starts to happen. They can also have issues with anal glands. 7) I would recommend socializing them a lot. Frosty was never good with kids (though I think this may have been more his individual personality than a breed trait) mainly because they always wanted to play with his face and he didn't like that. We adopted two other dogs at different points before he passed away and he was fine with both of them as soon as they realized he was the old man of the house and the leader. He even played with them (when HE felt like it, of course!). Frosty was very independent. They are known as as breed for being watchdogs and protecting the family. 8) They like to bark. I wouldn't say terribly excessive, but as with all dogs this is something that depends on how they were raised. Again part of this has to do with being bred as watchdogs. 9) They do have problems with cataracts and Frosty was getting these in his old age. Similarly he had problems with his hips but these were again, as he got older. He was about 16 when we had to put him down because he could barely walk anymore and just seemed like he was in pain all the time. He also had some jaundice issues when we first got him. 10) Like I said, yes! We just cleaned it with a wet washcloth and tried not to let it build up. 11) I'm not sure about this as Frosty never had any problems. You do have to be careful to prevent fleas or they will get hot spots. 12) Don't overwash them, as they are prone to dry skin. DO NOT SHAVE them! As with schips, both breeds have a "double coat" and this will regulate itself when it is warmer. Shaving them can make them get sunburns. This dog will need exercise and is a pretty crafty/intelligent breed. You also want to make sure to exercise it enough so it doesn't get overweight. This breed seems to gain weight very easily. Hope that helps!
  • Diane SheehanDiane Sheehan Posts: 3Member
    edited 18 July, 2008
    Hi, my Champ is 23 pounds. Actually, Champ was very, very easy to potty train. He hits a bell I have hanging on the door knob when he needs andwants to go out. Champ is hyper and gets distracted easily. I have three young children though. So it is difficult to train him unless I have a treat in my hands. Champ is very, very agile. I don't groom him that often, but brush him. The furmerator brush. They are very clean dogs. Yes socialize your dog. I have three children, their friends that come over. We have a lot of dogs in the neighborhood that he wrestles and sniffs with. He is totally not shy. Champ loves the attention. It makes them happy. Champ does bark when someone is at the door, or at a stranger, the stray cats. Once the garage was open by mistake all night. In the middle of the night, Champ kept barking and barking by the inside garage door, that's how I found out I left the garage door open. A cat was probably inside the garage. But, Champ does not overly bark. He is stubborn and needs consistent training. Champ's eyes do tear once in a while. I just wipe them. He is a good dog. Hyper, needs a lot of exercise, he nips - naws and licks a lot. Not meanly though. They are protective, good watch if not guard dogs. Loves to play!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Loves attention!!! (who doesn't..) Definitely needs and is a part of the family. The kids and I watch a movie on the couch and he's right there with us on the couch.
  • Tonya ColeTonya Cole LafayettePosts: 10Member
    edited 21 July, 2008
    hello my dog is a MINIATURE american eskimo. She is a purebread and weighs 18-20 lbs. she is completely healthy, the only problem i've run into a couple of times is that she shakes her head. When dogs shake their head or mess with their ears it means they have an ear infection. Luckily hers were only minor infections. Because her ears are pointed up her ears are more sensitive to dirt and germs. i use wipes and wash her ears very well when i give her baths. she does bark only when she feels she needs to protect me like when the door bell rings. Because you live in a colder cliamate your eskie will love it! My eskie avoids stepping into mud and will jump over it, when it rains she will go threw the rain and only do her business then return. she was crate trained and easily house broken. she is incredibly smart. I hope this has helped somewhat.